- We at Atlassian have recently released react-beautiful-dnd which makes drag and drop for lists on the web more beautiful, natural and accessible.PhysicalityThe core design idea of react-beautiful-dnd is physicality: we want users to feel like they are moving physical objects around.
- Itâs drag and drop mechanism is fairly standard and serves as a good reference point.Movementinstant movement isÂ standardWhen dragging items around, other items disappear and reappear as needed.
- At no point is an item instantly moved anywhereâââregardless of whether it is dragging or not.Knowing when toÂ moveIt is quite common for drag and drop interactions to be based on the position that user started the drag fromimpact based on selection pointIn this example the user is grabbing the top…
- Put another way: once the centre position of an item (A) goes over the edge of another item (B), B moves out of the way.AccessibleTraditionally drag and drop interactions have been exclusively a mouse or touch interaction.
- We add a tab-index to draggable items to ensure that even you are not wrapping something that is usually interactive (such as a div) then the user will still be able to access it with their keyboard to drag it.Not forÂ everyoneThere are a lot of libraries out there that allow…
We have recently released react-beautiful-dnd which makes drag and drop for lists on the web more beautiful, natural and accessible
Continue reading “Rethinking drag and drop – Alex Reardon – Medium”